SureShade MTF manual sunshade systems require regular care and maintenance to ensure the system continues to function properly
Due to the nature of the marine environment – sun, wind, rain and especially saltwater – it is common practice for a boat owner to conduct certain inspections of the boat and its accessories.
The SureShade MTF Manual Shade requires special routine maintenance:
- Regular & annual canvas care and inspection
- Occasional lubrication of parts
Follow the below steps to ensure your manual shade system is maintained and fully functional for years to come.
Boaters must ensure canvas thread does not deteriorate due to marine conditions.
Canvas Inspection and Care
Boaters should be sure to inspect the canvas at full extension to make sure there are no deteriorating portions of the canvas (canvas rips, broken threads, etc).
The actuators for the MTF manual sunshade system are spring-loaded and controlled extension of the shade is dependent on the canvas, roller and gearbox. Therefore, it’s important to be sure that the canvas is in good condition to maintain proper movement of the framework.
Basic Canvas Care includes:
- General, light cleaning with a hose on a monthly basis with clear water to remove debris
- A thorough cleaning every 2-3 years, which may include fabric guard and/or mildew treatments
- Conduct an annual inspection of your canvas to ensure that all threading is intact
- A pull test on the thread will confirm that threading has not become dry rotted from the elements
MTF Manual Boat Shade Lubrication
We recommend using a lithium grease lubricant (such as WD-40) to alleviate any cranking issues (extending or retracting the shade with the hand lever) that may occur over time with the manual shade.
On the port side canvas roller clamp, there is a black plastic bushing where the roller shaft turns (see image to the right) – lubricate between the brushing and the roller shaft.
If you are experiencing cranking issues, be sure to also check that the canvas is centered on the roller, as the canvas may shift over time and could also contribute to any difficulty in cranking the shade.
Additional Important Care Guidance:
- SureShade does not recommend removing canvas from the SureShade roller system as it may be difficult to properly re-install or it could damage the rollers.
- Under no circumstances should the canvas supplied with any SureShade system ever be placed in a washing machine.
More Customer Resources
Reference the below customer care and maintenance guides to ensure the longevity of your SureShade sunshade system.
Share Your Shady Story
Share Your Story
SureShade customers love their sunshade systems as much as they love their boat! Share your story with us (with photos & details) and we’ll send you a SureShade t-shirt [customized with your boat name] as a thank-you.
Review us on Facebook!
If you are a happy SureShade customer (whether you bought from us direct or through a builder/dealer) we’d love if you could give us a 5 star review on Facebook.